Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Shades of yellow

One of the things that I was reminded of in Maui is how people like to label things. For Asians we find some sort of comfort in knowing exactly what kind of yellow a person is. Some people have it easy because their features give away their heritage as plainly as if they had their last name and a flag stamped on their forehead. I think my natural tan throws people off.
Incident #1: The over-friendly tour guide.
A man guiding a group of tourists around is standing beside my wife and I outside a restroom. He glances over at us, gets uncomfortably close and says, 'Konichiwa' as he passes by. While walking around a near-freezing Haleakala Crater at 5am, one's sense of humor is diminished greatly. I give him the bird behind his back in the near blackness. To assume that we're Japanese and to assume we're non-english-speaking. I shake my fist at you still!

No comments: