Saturday, November 27, 2004

Best Buy @ 5:30 am

Sorry Jeff. Sorry Dave.
We did it... We gave in... We woke up at 4:45 to go to best buy. We were in the middle of a line that stretched about 200 yards by 6:00 am. It was quite the production. There were people giving out krispie kremes for donations. There were best buy employees with clipboards letting people sign up for computers and laptops so fewer people would get trampled. What stuck out to me the most was who was in the line. Since it made a big U around the loading dock I had a great view of the people and I would estimate that over half were Asian. The non-asians were mainly 18-45 year olds, but I saw asian mom's carrying their half-asleep kids, there were a lot of older asians as well. When the doors opened up, suprisingly most people were polite and didn't shove. What I really wanted was a 160 gb hard drive. I made a beeline for that area but found a blank shelf. What I did find was a guy with a shopping cart with at least 7 hard drives in there. The discount was only 1 per household so I wondered why this guy would shove 7 into his shopping cart. So I was stealing a glance at his cart when another guy with three hard drives in his arms leaned over to me and asked if I wanted one. Of course I said yes, then he said that he was short $10 of buying something else... basically he was scalping hard drives in the middle of Best Buy. As I gave the guy a shocked looked I was almost tackled from behind. After completing a full 360 as the person shoved her way through the crowd I was suprised to see it was an old lady about 5 feet tall. All three of these lovely people were asian. The day after Thanksgiving should be renamed 'Pretend you're in a communist bread line day'. The day after the day after Thanksgiving should be renamed, 'fill out your rebate forms day'.
I'm thankful that my Grandparents decided to immigrate to this country.

No comments: