Friday, February 15, 2008

Boka Polka

When am I going to learn? Valentine's Day food is always dissappointing. I don't blame restaurants. You have tons of people trying to all eat long, romantic dinners all at the same time. You have staff and cooks who probably would rather be somewhere else besides serving little lovebirds. So how do restaurants survive? They create special prix fixe menu and jack up the prices enough to cover the costs of the extra wait-staff they have working that night. Then they create a menu of food that allows them to make sure they don't run out of food and that they can prepare in advance. The result is much like hotel banquet food. It's not horrible, but not what you'd expect at a nice restaurant.

We went to Boka last night. I had duck confit salad. The Wife had cauliflower soup. There was a passion fruit sorbet intermezzo. Which is a fancy way of saying they gave us a snack while they were getting our main course ready. The Wife had brown butter skate and mashed potatos and I had a lobster and oxtail ravioli. Interestingly, when my ravioli came, it was just one piece of ravioli. One huge piece of pasta. It was a sheet of pasta noodle, like a crepe... filled with half a lobster tail and pieces of slow cooked oxtail meat, covered with truffle foam (hello Marcel from TopChef) topped with a lobster claw. It wasn't bad... a little overcooked, but still not less than I expected.

Oh well.. Maybe I'll try to cook next Valentines (or is it Valentine's).

No comments: